Tuesday, December 4, 2012

You Can Finish It!



During a party with friends and neighbors a few years back, we heard one of the neighbor kids crying in the basement.  My youngest son came up the stairs and announced loudly to all of the adults in the room, "He started it, but I finished it!"  At first I was mortified, until I learned that my son had stopped a potentially damaging situation.  I don't remember exactly what was started and finished that night, but I do remember the effect of my sons words.  The words, "He started it, but I finished it," have made me ponder a lot, especially when it comes to forgiveness.  

Photo courtesy of I Like via Flickr
There are many ways in which those around us can cause us hurt and pain, but even though they may have "started it" we can finish it by ultimately letting go of the injury and extending forgiveness.

I heard a quote recently by Robert Brault, "Life becomes easier when you learn to accept the apology you never got."

I think those words are very wise.  Sometimes those apologies will never come, but we don't need to go on hurting.  Isn't it better to let go of the bitterness and anguish; to finish a "potentially damaging situation" instead of letting the hurt continue?  Hasn't our Lord and Savior ultimately paid the debt in full for our own and other's misdeeds?  Hasn't he already told us that he has essentially finished it?  He knows and understands our pain completely because he has suffered, both for and with us.

The Lord has said, "Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over... For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."

Isn't that promise enough?  Give forgiveness and it shall also be given to you in great measure.  In fact, it will be given with so much abundance that your heart will be running over with love and gratitude.  Let us "finish" the hurt in the world by giving the gift of forgiveness this Christmas and let the Lord's atoning sacrifice "finish" the rest. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow. You know that book we spoke about? This should be in it. This is fantastic and reminds me of a not so little thing I need to take care of. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughts and insights. You have really focused in on something important that I need to continue to work on. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your comments: