Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My Hope for the New Year



When my sister and her family were on their way to a holiday event one day last week, they noticed a blind man trying to cross the busy street in front of them.  Because of the new fallen snow and the build-up of icy drifts, the blind man couldn't find the edge of the sidewalk and was unable to properly determine his direction.  He therefore struggled to find his way, backing up traffic.  That's when the world suddenly became perfect,for just a short bit of time.  My sister watched as several good-hearted individuals parked their cars right in the middle of the road and went to help the blind stranger make his journey across the busy highway.  No one honked or yelled in irritation as the traffic light changed from red to green.  No one tried to go around the beautiful spectacle.  All watched, patiently transfixed by the show of brotherly love.  When the blind man was safely on the other side, another woman offered to take this blind stranger where he needed to go. 

 
Photo Courtesy of NCReedplayer via Flickr

When moments like these happen, I am once again reminded that love is stronger than hate, and forgiveness is more powerful than revenge.  I reflect upon the great examples of love and forgiveness in my life, and how deeply I am touched when someone gives the beauty of love instead of ugliness.  There is always plenty of ugliness to go around, what we need in this world is more Godlike love. 

I went to see the movie Les Miserables this last week, and I was so touched once again by the wonderful story of Jean Valjean who finds redemption by truly learning to give his life to God by serving his fellowman.  The movie is a tear jerker and teaches the profound power of love and charity.  I love the words written by Victor Hugo quoted by the character Jean Valjean, "To love another person is to see the face of God."  I think there is great truth in these words that we can all learn from.

A friend shared the story of her husband's family recently and it has forever changed my life.  Her father-in law is a paraplegic and her mother-in-law must care for her paralyzed husband constantly, around the clock.  As you can imagine, this is a demanding and strenuous life.  When times get difficult and she grows tired and taxed, she imagines that she is giving her service to the Savior in order to make it through.  Can you imagine how much better the world would be if when we grew tired and taxed with those around us, especially those who might be a challenge in our lives, if we imagined that we were serving the Savior instead?  I think this is what the Savior meant when he said, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." 

As we begin a new year and the Christmas decorations are once again boxed away, I hope that we won't forget the love that our Savior brought into this sometimes dark and complicated world.  His redeeming love can change our hearts and our lives forever and the lives of those around us, as well. 

When times grow tough, let us all resolve to give love to our Savior by serving those around us.  In the words of Saint Francis of Assisi, “Lord, make me an instrument of your peace; where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy.” That is my hope for the new year for all of us!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful words and thoughts to begin our new year of opportunity, love and service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your observations as well as your sister's in such a beautiful and helpful manner. You inspire me! We begin the new year with a fresh start. One of my goals is to look at each individual as a beloved child of God. How can I lift and help? Judgment is not mine to give - not even of myself.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your comments: