Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Epiphanies of Gratitude



While sitting in the doctor's office yesterday with my oldest son who is preparing for a mission, we heard an older woman say in a loud voice, "Don't take me in backwards, I can't see where I am going."  We turned around to see an older gentleman gently backing his wife in a wheelchair through the door. 

"Well, let's get you turned around, then," he said kindly.  He made sure his wife was comfortable before checking in at the desk.  


The wife began to fidget with the wheelchair, "I thought you said that the wheels lock when you push back on the chair," she complained.

"No, dear, that was the other wheelchair," he said with compassion, while locking her wheels in place for her and sitting down beside her.  She was thirsty and wanting a drink, and so he got up from his seat again and asked the receptionist for a cup so that he could get his wife a drink from the drinking fountain nearby.  He filled up her cup a little more than half full and handed it to her carefully.

She responded by saying, "You didn't fill it all the way up, did you?  You are going to have to drink some.  I can't drink this much."  The elderly woman drank most of the water and then handed the rest to her husband who finished it for her without complaint.

The conversation continued much the same, with the woman complaining and the gentleman answering with gracious kindness.  Listening to their conversation, I was greatly affected by the woman's simple lack of gratitude.  Here was a good, kind man lovingly serving her and she could not seem to muster even a simple, "Thank you."  It struck me profoundly then, the importance of gratitude; the importance of saying, "Thank you," to all of those around us, especially God.  For without gratitude we are never truly satisfied.

I've heard it said recently that if we were only able to retain those things in our lives that we thanked God for each day, what would we have left?  I've thought a lot about that.  Have we thanked God today for all of those blessings in our lives that we just couldn't live without?  Our blessings are so abundant. Just look at the world around us! Betty Smith has said, "Look at everything as though you were seeing it for the first time or the last time.  Then your time on earth will be filled with glory."

I wish that the wife of this charity filled older gentleman could have the experience of looking at her husband for the first time just as I did yesterday.  She is richly blessed by the constant service of an angel on earth who loves her so completely.  What a enormous blessing it is to have that kind of love!

John Milton tells us, "Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world."

May we have epiphanies of gratitude this week as we sit down with our loved ones during this Thanksgiving Holiday.  May our time on earth be "filled with glory," as we look at everything as though we were seeing it for the first or last time.  And may we bow our heads in thanks to God for all the many blessings we cannot do without.

5 comments:

  1. As I read this post, I couldn't help but think of your Grandma T. and her ever present sweetness as she struggled with adversity in the final years of her life. She just seemed to get sweeter and more patient as time went on. How grateful I am for her example to me. As usual, you have given me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this story very much, and certainly can sympathize with this husband. But, you said about this wife, "She is richly blessed by the constant service of an angel on earth who loves her so completely", and my own heart sank a little bit. There is not always the "love" that once was. There is strength through faith, and there is bravery through character. I made a vow to God. That promise provided to love, honor, and cherish, to have, and to hold, in sickness, and in health. And, the first one, love... when disused by your spouse because of illness or injury, it's very hard to maintain. Sometimes, it is even hard to remember. And, it isn't love that grants patience and service. It's a sense of duty that does. God knows what missing love feels like. He's taught it to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,

      Please give yourself credit for being one of those "angels on earth." Your spouse is also richly blessed to have you! Thank you for your strength and courage in serving and "loving" someone that has become harder to love. I believe you are an amazing person to do what you do! Thank you for sharing your perspective! I hope that you can see that you are giving Godlike love in your service even though your loved one is unable to reciprocate in the way that you definitely need and deserve. One day I believe that God will make reparations for all that we suffer on this little planet.

      Thank you again for touching my life today!

      Love,

      Jenn

      Delete
  3. Why do I do, just as you say, why must I just, give you your way
    Why do I sigh, why don't I try - to forget
    It must have been, that something lovers call fate
    Kept me saying: "I have to wait"
    I saw them all, just couldn't fall - 'til we met
    It had to be you, it had to be you
    I wandered around, and finally found - the somebody who
    Could make me be true, and could make me be blue
    And even be glad, just to be sad - thinking of you
    Some others I've seen, might never be mean
    Might never be cross, or try to be boss, but they wouldn't do
    For nobody else, gave me a thrill - with all your faults, I love you still
    It had to be you, wonderful you, it had to be you
    --Frank Sinatra

    Thank you for you words Jenn. There must be a lot of people in my situation. Lonely in a marriage, struggling to stay with it, but also very saddened by the loss of companionship. So, this was rather random today. A bit of a surprise, and I'm not sure what to make of it other than some encouragement from the Heavens when I needed some.

    Love back,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete

Please share your comments: